What is the Great Astor Tweet? It is an opportunity for Twitterati of good will and friendly mien to gather at the Astor Theatre in darkest Melbourne and celebrate both the cinematic art, and the twittermatic art.
What this means is that on Monday, August 22, at 7.30pm, the Astor will screen a double feature of classic cult films - first Withnail and I, then Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Downstairs in the stalls will be a hardy band of tweeters, providing running social media commentary on the films in whatever way takes their fancy.
So what should you do to take part in this grand experiment? Easy:
1. Go to the Astor Theatre in the evening of Monday August 22.
2. Buy a ticket, and possibly some popcorn.
3. Make your way to the stalls (this is a designated tweeting area - do not mingle with non-tweeters, or as we call them "muggles", for fear the glow of your smartphone will enrage them).
4. Put your phone on SILENT. This is important - we have a designated area in the stalls so that our lights don't infuriate others, but we will really make ourselves unpopular if we become the source of constant beeping and ringing. In fact, we'll become unpopular with ourselves.
6. Tweet in a thoughtful and/or hilarious manner for the duration of the double feature, or until you want to go home, whichever comes first. While tweeting, use the hashtag #AstorTweet to ensure you are participating fully in the community spirit.
If you can't make it to the theatre, chime in yourself with your thoughts about the movie, or don't. I mean those are two fairly broad options you have there. But if you're a lover of the films in question, or just someone who likes a larf, you're welcome to join our merry troupe even if you're not physically present. Come one, come all, to the Great Astor Tweet!
And so we will soon all be having as much fun as this guy:
In order to bring you the finest tweets available to humanity, we acknowledge the generous assistance, support and affection of the Astor, Popcorn Cinema, and Owen Vandenberg of TweetFilm . Together we bring you this marvel out of the goodness of our own hearts.
Do join us, it'll be a blast!