Tuesday, May 1, 2012

One Hour One Life

Of course as you know depression is something I comment on from time to time, and I've just written a piece for news.com.au on the difficulties of talking openly about depression.

That piece is part of a campaign news.com.au is running in conjunction with Lifeline this month, One Hour One Life. Click on the link to find out all about it - basically there'll be a series of stories about depression and mental illness, in aid of a new Lifeline service, the Online Crisis Support Chat. This goes live on May 8. An hour of time on the chat service costs around $31, and Lifeline and news.com.au are looking for goodhearted folk such as yourself to stump up a little spare change to help connect people in need of help with someone who can give them some.

It is, I reckon, a pretty great cause, and I'm pretty proud to be associated with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was that article that brought me to your blog, Ben. Thank you for writing it, because I can honestly say that I've been in the same sinking ship as you described so well in the piece. It's such a hard thing to explain to friends and even family, and so ridiculously isolating. I too resorted to blogging to get it all out, sharing it with about 10 people I know love me. Currently only one friend continues to read it, which of course is not helping with the feelings of isolation... so I hope it's ok if I post the link here. I'd be honoured if you skimmed your eyes over it, or even if any of your other readers wanted to. As much as it's predominantly a cathartic mind dump for me, I hope that it illustrates what it can be like to live with depression, and maybe highlights those living with loved one with depression can do to support them.



http://blueysquared.wordpress.com